Jayshree Sengupta holds an MPhil in Economics from the London School of Economics (LSE).
Jayshree has worked as a research associate or consultant in a range of prestigious organizations worldwide, including the following: the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (London), the Indian Council of Research in International Economic Relations (ICRIER, New Delhi), the Institute of Manpower Research (IMR, New Delhi), and the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER, New Delhi), the World Bank (Washington D.C.), the OECD (Paris), and the World Economic Forum (Geneva). Jayshree has also enjoyed a significant career in journalism. She was a senior editor with the Hindustan Times, and has written articles and columns on economics and art for nearly all of India’s major national dailies, including The Times of India and Sunday magazine. She has also had a teaching career, as a lecturer in economics at Delhi University (Miranda House and Indraprastha College) for ten years.
Jayshree is currently a senior fellow with the Observer Research Foundation (ORF), New Delhi, and is a regular contributor to The Tribune and Pioneer newspapers. She is also the Chairperson of the Centre for Development and Human Rights (CDHR), a non-profit organization founded by her late husband, Dr. Arjun Sengupta.
Details of professional positions
- Senior Economic Writer, Hindustan Times (1998—2004).
- Contributing Editor to the Observer of Business and Politics (1994—1998).
- Columnist for Sunday magazine (1994—1996).
- Consultant, Economic Development Institute and Finance and Industry Division. The World Bank, Washington DC, USA (1986—1997).
- Consultant, Economic Development Institute, National Economic Management Division. The World Bank, Washington DC, USA (1987—1989).
- Consultant, Indonesia and the Pacific Country Operations Division. The World Bank, Washington DC (1989—1990).
- Consultant, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris, France (1991).
- Lecturer in Economics, Indraprastha College and Miranda House, University of Delhi, Delhi (1965-67 and 1970-77).
- Consultant at the Institute of Applied Manpower Research (IAMR), New Delhi (1981—1983).
- Consultant and Program Coordinator, the Indian Council of Research in International Economic Relations (ICRIER), New Delhi (1981—1985).